Wednesday 24 August 2022

Good Grief - bereavement service in Powys

 

by Abbie Lycett
Bereavement Support Service Co-ordinator - Mid & North Powys Mind

Grief


There are many reasons why you might experience grief:
  • When a partner, close friend or relative dies.
  • The end of a pregnancy, through miscarriage or termination.
  • The end of a significant relationship.
  • The death or loss of a much loved pet.
There are many causes of grief and loss and no way of grieving is right or wrong. It is important to accept the way you feel and try not to compare your feelings to those of others and think you ‘should’ be feeling and grieving in a certain way.

You feel what you feel and that is okay.

Grief can sometimes feel overwhelming and we can feel lonely. In the Mid and North Powys Mind bereavement support group we want to support you so you don’t feel alone.




The Good Grief group

This is a friendly, supportive group open to anyone who has experienced grief and loss – whether it’s a loved one, a pet, a job, or a relationship.

It’s a safe, non-judgemental and confidential space for you to talk about your experience and your feelings if you wish, and to listen to others.

We meet on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month on Zoom, 11am - 12pm. Feel free to bring along a cuppa.

If you’d like to join us, do get in touch at bereavement@mnp.org.uk and we will send you the Zoom details.



Stevie

Stevie is regular group member, who has since started volunteering to support the running of the group. He says:

“I have been joining the Good Grief group since the group began in February 2021. When I first joined the group, I felt so welcomed by the member of staff, Lizzie, as she so loving and caring, and everyone else in the group as well - they are all so friendly!

I feel that the Good Grief group has really helped me to open up about the loss of my Gee (my Grandmother) and my best mate. I’ve been able to talk about my difficulties and worries, and also the good times we had too, without feeling judged.

Also there is an amazing Facebook group you can use if you’re struggling in between the weekly Zoom sessions, where you can talk to others from the group about how you’re feeling and what’s going on, or even private message the member of staff Lizzie who is always willing to listen and help, and will get back to you as soon as she can.

I would really recommend this group to anyone who is struggling with the loss of a loved one, a pet, a family member, a friend, etc. So come along and say hi in a safe, friendly, loving environment. You will feel so welcomed to this amazing group.

Feedback from others

“The thing I found most useful was the perspective the group gave me on my own grief. You stop wallowing when you find there are plenty of people in a tougher situation than yours.”

“That call was amazing today, I felt so welcomed.”

“I walked past the seasonal aisle in Home Bargains today. All the Mother’s Day gear was out and I laughed. For once I didn’t feel like I was alone in my bitterness. Thanks Lizzie and all you guys for making me feel a bit less alone in this mess.”


The Good Grief bereavement service covers Mid and North Powys and is for adults, 
young people and children.


You can find out more from on Mid & North Powys Mind’s 

To book an appointment or for more information contact Abbie:

Tel: 07496 870 039


Office phone: 01597 824411

You can read about the Powys Bereavement Project in our August 2020 post 

No comments:

Post a Comment