Tuesday 7 September 2021

Running for mental wellbeing


Earlier this summer the mental health charity Mid & North Powys Mind launched a free 12-week beginners’ running course in Newtown, North Powys.

“It is suitable for complete beginners - whether you've never run before, or you used to run and haven't for a little while. There's no pressure to be a certain fitness - no one will get left behind!”

Our Health & Wellbeing colleague Andrew Davies, who works as a Participation Officer for Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations, has joined the group. We asked him to tell us more about the course and why he signed up.

Andrew Davies, Health & Wellbeing Participation Officer, PAVO

Are you an experienced runner or a beginner?

I have done walk to run groups before and got up to taking part in local 5k runs. However, I then started attending a more advanced all men's group and damaged a muscle in my leg and have struggled to get back into running since.

Why did you sign up to this running course? And what was your view of running at the beginning?

I signed up as I struggle to find the time and commitment to run by myself. I know that the exercise I get out of it is really good for both my mental and physical health but with two young children at home I struggle with the motivation to go out. I find running with a group forces me to go out.

How many are in the group and who leads the course?


We currently have around 12 attendees each week and 4 leaders overseen by Lizzie Cockle from Mid and North Powys Mind. Lizzie is also the Training Team Lead and a 1:1 Support Worker for Montgomeryshire.

Whereabouts do the group run in North Powys and when?

The group meets every Monday evening and we currently run routes around Dolerw Park alongside the River Severn in Newtown.

Tell us a bit about how the course works (5K – Couch)

The course starts in week 1 with a 5 minute walk and then a 30 second run for 4 repetitions. 
The walks then decrease in time and the runs increase until by week 8 you are running for the full hour and hitting 5k. 

This is all done at everyone's individual pace, and the faster runners do loops to help those who aren't so fast to catch up, so the group stays together. We also have support runners at the front, middle and back to make sure we are all going at a pace that is comfortable for us. This means you don't feel you are holding anyone up, or falling too far behind, and so get despondent with it. The whole group also encourages each other throughout the run.



Have you set any personal goals for your own running and why?


I have a bucket list and one of those is to run a half marathon. I feel it is a really good thing to have those goals in life of things you want to achieve, see and experience.

Why is running good for mental wellbeing as well as keeping you physically fit? How does it make you feel mentally after a good run?


I find that running really helps my mental wellbeing. Not only does it increase your endorphins (the body's natural painkillers and mood enhancers) but you are also out in nature and it gives you that break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and some much needed "me" time.

Why is it good to run in a group rather than on your own?

Personally, I struggle with the motivation to go out on my own - there is always something else I could be doing. You also get to meet and chat to a group of really interesting people that you may not have met before. Some of the people I have met running are now really good friends.

Do you have any tips for people who think they can’t run?

If you think you can’t run, have a go! I always used to say I would only run if I was being chased but I love doing it now I have been shown how to do it properly. Even if you don’t get to the end of the course the first time, do what makes you comfortable, and then join again and try and get past where you were the last time.

What is the most challenging part of the course, and the best part each week?

The most challenging part of the course is the increase in time running! But the feeling of self achievement when that whistle blows, and you have managed to increase what you did the week before, is wonderful.

Will Mid & North Powys Mind be running future running groups for beginners? How can people find out more?

Hopefully MNPM will be running future running groups. For more information please visit the running group Facebook page or contact Lizzie Cockle by emailing lizzie@mnpmind.org.uk


Many thanks to Andrew for telling us all about his running adventures. Do you run for your wellbeing? Let us know more in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment