Thursday 30 April 2020

Staying well during lockdown - what are we doing?

by Owen Griffkin, Participation Officer

Artwork by Sarah Dale, Mental Health Individual Representative, for the Isolation Art Challenge

As we near the end of April the COVID-19 lockdown has been extended until mid-May at the earliest. We have all had to adapt and change our routines to keep ourselves safe, and this has meant new ways of coping with the stresses of isolation. One of the enduring themes to emerge from this crisis is the ability of people to make the best of what they have in their homes and surrounding areas to stay mentally and physically fit. It’s not easy though and sometimes it is good to look elsewhere for inspiration, so that our daily routine doesn’t start feeling like ‘Groundhog Day’. 

We thought we would catch-up with friends and colleagues of the Powys Association of Voluntary Organisation’s (PAVO) mental health team and find out what they have been doing to cope with the lockdown, and maybe give you some more ideas to change up your routine.

Clair Swales - Health and Wellbeing Team Manager, PAVO


Since COVID-19 I have re-started with my weightlifting efforts. I was getting into a rut. Returning home from work I needed to switch off and get into home mode and weightlifting has really helped! As soon as I get in, I say a quick hello to the family and then get changed. If I hang around for too long I end up sitting on the sofa and then I find it difficult to get going again.

Weight lifting helps me to channel my stress levels and reduce any anxiety. I put the music on loud (I find rock music helps and that's not my normal ‘turn-to’ in music taste!); focusing on form and challenging myself to improve each week gives me closure on the day's work. I find that even after a short training session I can shut off my work brain until the next day.

You won't see me competing in weight lifting that's for sure but for me personally I see the benefits of reduced stress, improved sleep and increased energy levels. Don't be afraid to try it even with light weights, or improvise with cans of beans!


Here's an article on weight lifting and wellbeing.

Joy Garfitt - Assistant Director Mental Health Services, Powys Teaching Health Board

Rhodri & Nerys - two of Joy's lockdown companions

I am one of the residents of Powys who has received a letter from Welsh Government encouraging me to ‘self-isolate’ so that I may be ‘shielded’ from catching COVID-19 (hopefully) – however this doesn’t mean that I needed to become a hermit and enter the world of daytime TV!

Fortunately, my job in the NHS lends itself to being able to work from home during this time, although I miss my normal contact and conversations with patients and colleagues. Thankfully, enter the world of Skype, Zoom, Facetime etc. which has enabled me to keep in contact with colleagues, friends and family – we have even set up a weekly Mental Health ‘virtual coffee morning’ where we can have an informal catch up, and compare our collective need for access to a hairdresser and get a break from self-isolating, homeworking and the endless amount of video conferences.

I have been making the most of my daily exercise allowance and have been regularly heading out on my bike and taking in the beautiful sights of rural Radnorshire. Thankfully, our rural lanes are perfect for not seeing anyone and the excellent weather has provided the motivation I needed, along with my two companions, Rhodri and Nerys.


Lucy Harbour - Mental Health Participation Manager, PTHB


Two weeks into homeworking I found myself getting a bad back and feeling generally uncomfortable. After a spontaneous visit to a famous online retailer I bought myself a hula hoop to try and get me moving a bit more and inject a bit of fun back into my days – and I’m so glad I did!

Now, after a long day sitting at the desk I can get out in the garden and hula hoop to my heart’s content (and neighbour’s horror!)

Millie Griffiths - Occupational Therapist on Felindre Ward, Bronllys Hospital, PTHB



During the lockdown I have been trying to continue to engage in hobbies to fill my time and to provide me with a focus. Usually I would play football but can’t so have taken up gardening. I had little knowledge of gardening before but I seem to be doing something right as the plants are growing!

Russell Pearce - Kaleidoscope Peer Support



My name is Russell, I am an addict and sufferer of mental health problems. I am also an ex-professional boxer. I have built a gym in my garage to help me relieve stress. Exercise takes me out of my head and I feel at peace. Stay active, stay safe.

Sarah Dale - Individual Representative on the Powys Mental Health Partnership


During this lockdown it is not surprising that my mental health, like many others, has got worse. Routine has gone out of the window, and my ability to do my go-to distraction technique, knitting, has gone with it too. So I started off by spending my time playing Resident Evil games on my laptop, scrolling Facebook, sleeping and binge-watching Netflix. 

On one of my many Facebook scrolling sessions I found a Facebook group called the Isolation Art Challenge. There was a list of 30 days with 30 different teams (the list has now been expanded to 60 days). You can take as long as you want completing each piece and you CAN do them in any order if you fancy, and post your finished pieces in the group. I thought I would use this as an opportunity to practice using my Promarkers (alcohol-based graphic makers). It has given me a goal to complete, distraction, a community to share with and something to pass the time. People seem to love my work, and have messaged me to let me know they look forward to my art popping up on their Facebook timeline. I have also had requests from people to draw portraits. I decided to start an Instagram account just for my art. Who needs exercise when you have most of the day to perfect a masterpiece! (joking! do get some fresh air).

Freda Lacey - Mental Health Partnership Manager, PTHB



My usual practice, meditation, mindful wood walking, gardening/planting veg, feeding the birds/listening to the amazing bird song, quilting/getting on with projects left in my cupboard unfinished, writing letters and cards to family and friends, learning to paint (with Bob Ross!).

Jess Tanner - Green Minds Facilitator, Brecon Mind


As the weeks in lockdown go by and as the days start to blend into one another I have been seeking ways in which to bring more attention into my daily life. Spring is such a dynamic and exciting time in nature and I have been leaning more and more into my practice as a gardener and a walker, trying to find some stillness within to notice and learn more about this changing world around us. 

At the beginning of April I started a “Phenology Wheel” as a way to document the events taking place in the natural world, within my garden and along the walks I have been taking. Creating the wheel has helped me to stay connected to the realities within myself and my local area, as well as making me feel hugely grateful for the landscape that surrounds me, filling each day with something new.

A Phenology wheel is a circular, daily calendar that encourages a regular routine of nature observation. It requires very few resources, just a paper and pen.

Have a look at the Green Minds project.


Em Charles - Green Minds, Brecon Mind



I find journaling useful when overwhelmed by unhelpful thoughts. Writing things down can help shift our worries from inside our heads to the outside, giving them space to be reflected upon. It can also be used creatively to express your feelings, through art, poetry, photography and collaging, so can become a nice record of our experiences day to day.

Here’s is a great how-to video on getting started with journaling. 



There are some great suggestions and links above, but we really want to hear what you have been up to. Please reply on our social media (Facebook or Twitter) or below this blog and let us know the activities you have been doing to keep physically and mentally well during the lockdown. If you have photos even better!

Or you can email us at mentalhealth@pavo.org.uk or call 01686 628300.

#StayHomeStaySafe

1 comment:

  1. hat a great Blog, very inspiring and great suggestions

    ReplyDelete